The school has had a long and proud tradition of choral singing. For this living tradition to continue, the school is constantly on the look-out for young people to become committed singers, boys aged approximately 7-10, and girls aged 9+. Boys can become Cathedral Choristers, girls (and boys with lower voices in the Senior Section) can become Choral Scholars.
The benefits of being a Chorister or a Choral Scholar
- The privilege of playing a leading role in leading people in the worship of Almighty God: many people find that sacred choral music helps lift their hearts and minds from the mundane to the transcendent. There are few more wonderful things to be involved with than this.
- A musical education like no other with tuition given for free.
- Confidence building
- A new group of friends - a chance to meet other boys/girls who enjoy making music and want to develop their talent
- Opportunities to participate in concerts and recordings, and visit other parts of the world whilst making wonderful music
- To work with a professional Director of Music
- Some reduction on the fees at the Cathedral School
How to become a Chorister or Choral Scholar
Singing in the Cathedral is a privilege, and one that will be part of a child's life forever. Obviously an ability and a desire to sing is essential. Sight reading of music is not essential although it is helpful. Older boys/girls with musical ability may be accepted if they pass an elementary audition.
Please contact the Registrar, Mrs Pam Critcher, in the first instance to discuss choral opportunities. Her email address is email@example.com
Sung by the Cathedral School Choral Scholars and Consort as part of the Ascension Day Mass at St Martin-in-Roath, CardiffGod is Gone Up (Finzi) by Metaphors
As part of the Cathedral Choir tour to Vienna this summer, the boys gave a beautiful performance of Lindley's Ave Maria which was recorded by an enterprising parent. Please click on the link and enjoy.Lindley's Ave Maria - Cathedral Choir by Metaphors